By Leone Dyson
Welcome to My Little Island! Where the adventure begins!
My Little Island takes students on an exciting fantasy-island adventure through their pre-literacy years. Child-centred themes, catchy action-packed songs, highly visual stories, CLIL and phonics awareness lessons develop the cognitive, emotional, and social skills of the whole learner.
My Little Island is a new three level pre-primary series. Its large format suits the needs of the very young learner, and its themes and activities are carefully graded to provide a fun and safe pathway into primary.
- Unit themes are presented through an illustrated scene along with a thematic TPR song that attaches meaning to words.
- A vocabulary lesson presents and practises target vocabulary. A computer mouse icon refers to extra vocabulary practice games on the Student's Book CD-ROM.
- A fun story puts the vocabulary in context and introduces new language and important values.
- CLIL lessons integrate target language with other content areas, especially math and geometry.
- Sammy the Squirrel, the silly but funny children's pet, presents each unit's Values song and provides opportunities for reflection and personalisation.
- Colorful stickers offer extra opportunities for games, role-play and vocabulary practice.
- Fun projects for hands-on crafts wrap up each unit theme.
- A review page presented through listening or in game or quiz-format offers yet another opportunity for confidence-building and fun.
- My Little Island CD-ROM features stories, real kids / adults video clips related to the unit theme, and a variety of games and activities including matching, sorting, concentration, and multiple-choice.
- My Little Island Workbook with Audio CD develops fine motor skills and offers the Student's Book songs and chants, and fun language practice through tracing, matching, and colouring theme-related pictures.