Our Discovery Island
By Sagrario Salaberri, Tessa Lochowski, Linnette Ansel
Series Consultants: David Nunan & Jeanne Perrett
A groundbreaking course for students with 1-3 teaching periods per week, which combines games-based learning with the methodologies of classroom ELT.
Learners go on fascinating quests, follow clues, and sing and interact with quirky and funky Poptropican characters in a safe and unique virtual world. Our Discovery Island
offers a streamlined and gently paced syllabus with lots of recycling.
Downloadable Sample Units and Class Audio
The Online World offers children online games where their avatars interact and solve exciting and original missions. Games-based learning is based on the principles of…
Extremely easy to teach, Our Discovery Island focuses on making things simple, straight-forward but extremely memorable:
- Immersion: Students are immersed in a coherent context that maintains students’ enthusiasm and participation.
- Stealth learning: In the Online World learning takes place without students being aware of it.
- Mastery: The Online World encourages exploration and hypotheses-making and testing.
- Control: Students love immersive worlds because they can fail without censure or observation.
- Poptropica™ characters set the theme and present new language through a visually appealing scene and a catchy chant, games, and non-intimidating listening tasks.
- Language is extended through a second catchy song, and practised and systematised through integrated skills work, quizzes and games.
- A funny story consolidates and integrates language and leads into a CLIL lesson, a fun hands-on activity and a simple project to build a Student Portfolio.
- Language repetition in meaningful interactions make English easy to remember and easy to transfer to normal everyday interaction.
- Every unit closes with a game, a good way to review and consolidate the language.
- A final Progress Check assesses learners and learning outcomes.
Student’s Book extras offer stickers, song lyrics, card games, festival lessons, and extensive reading texts depending on the level.
In Our Discovery Island 1, Values sections introduce social responsibility.
Varied but simple and fun Workbook activities engage young children in individual work.